Tuesday, August 21, 2007

One more patrol

I hadn't realized it had been three weeks since I posted last, but I have some major changes in my life which I hope to post in the next few days, but meanwhile ...

David called on Saturday (Aug. 18) to say he will be coming home around Oct. 10, give or take five days. By the end of this week, he'll move out of Baqubah to a FOB (forward operating base) near Baghdad for two weeks or so, then onto Kuwait for another two weeks before heading back to Ft. Lewis, Wash. Most of his unit will get home a little ahead of him, but he has to stay behind and essentially do inventory on the thousands of parts, weapons, communication instruments and pieces of equipment that will either go home with the brigade or stay in the Middle East. Everything has to be tracked.

So in Baqubah, his platoon has just one more two-day patrol to accomplish. One more time sitting in a cooperating Iraqi's home, watching the streets for insurgents, checking homes for bombs and avoiding local militia gunfights.

Just one more patrol.

One more patrol.

1 comment:

eLiz said...

Is it bad to say that I think the drive from Baqoubah to Baghdad has me more worried than anything else in the last few months?