Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Into the breach

David called at 5:45 a.m. today. I woke up immediately to a half-ring, groggily trying to remember if it was the sound of the phone or Craig's alarm clock. He had already gotten up and picked up the phone.

He had two pieces of news. His platoon's time in the reserves, of holding perimeters and running food and water to civilians, is over; he is going into throes of battle in Baquaba, clearing houses and searching for insurgents -- and enormous, hidden IEDs planted throughout the town. His first shift began later tonight -- three days on, one day off -- so we should not expect to hear from as often.

I asked him something along the lines if his job was nerve-wracking.

He interrupted: "Not nerve-wracking. I've just had to learn a lot in a short amount of time."

Just over three weeks ago, we were hiking through the forests of Mt. Rainer National Park; now he is responsible for the lives of 21 men, for a mission and dealing with a hostile human and physical environment.

The contrast rolls one's brain in circles.

I try to say something that is supportive but not suffocating, or to ask even good questions, but I am so glad to hear his voice that I can't think. Craig is better at this than I am; he even remembers to take notes so we remember exactly what to get him.

He asks for a few personal items, and then gives the second piece of news: A camera crew from NBC News filmed his staff sergeant during their humanitarian mission. He thought might be on tonight's (June 27) broadcast of "NBC Nightly News" so he wanted us to look for it.

It wasn't; but we'll keep looking, and I'll post a link or try downloading the clip from MSNBC and post it here when it happens.

He didn't seem to think he'll be in it; still it will give us a view, however slight, into his world.

The TV news distracts me from thinking about his changing assignment and he carefully and casually mentions it, underplaying it. Or, maybe I overplay it.

This is what he came for, what he trained for, what his officer training was all about. Still, it must be bigger, dirtier, more uncertain than any training could give him. I fear for him, not because he is incapable or untrained, but because the risk is greater and shaped by an opponent who uses his cunning to fit his ideology -- as we all do.

Except this enemy builds IEDs, and we use tanks and artillery.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is from the aunt of the Interested Soldier. Your sister. No matter how scared we are for him, he is doing just exactly what he wants to do. All we can do is pray that he will be safe as well as his men. You have raised a fine son into a fine and brave man. How many of us can say that we are doing exactly what we want to do? David can. It may be scary and frightening to us, but exciting to him. I, myself, cannot watch the news anymore, because I know David is there. I know there are thousands of men and women there, but I only know one for sure. Please understand, I wish all of the men and woman a safe trip home, but also know that I cannot guarantee that all will come home safe and sound. Being the sister of the Mother and an Aunt to David, I hope all in his unit under his command, take care, be courageous, and come home safe and sound to their parents and family.

Art said...

Mother of Interested Soldier,
You have a brave heart. I spoke with Father of Interested Soldier today. He sounds well. You and David are on the office computer screen and many caring people here are thinking of the three of you. Please take a hug.
Art

Interested Soldier said...

He's a Sargeant First Class. Evidently he got a lot of air time (like 5 min). Supposedly the clip is on the MSNBC site. Love.